“What ice hockey skate should I choose?” might be the question that you ask yourself. When it comes to choosing the best ice hockey skate, you can not get whatever option you find on the market. Different ice hockey players have their own preferences, size, style and required performance level.
I think it is very challenging to maximize your potential in hockey without the support of high quality skates. Each pair of skates have their own pros and cons. The best one is the most suitable pair that matches your needs as well as level.
In this article, I will make it clear to you by reviewing the top 9 best ice hockey skates in detail. I hope you can find perfect skates after this post.
- The Best Ice Hockey Skates on the Market 2020
- #1 Bauer Vapor X2.0 Pro Ice Hockey Skates
- #2 Bauer Vapor X2.9 Ice Hockey Skates
- #3 Bauer Nexus 2N Ice Hockey Skates
- #4 CCM JetSpeed FT470 Ice Hockey Skates
- #5 CCM Super Tacks AS1 Ice Hockey Skates
- #6 CCM Youth Tacks 9060 Ice Hockey Skates
- #7 Botas Attack 181 Ice Hockey Skates
- #8 Bauer Vapor X800 Ice Hockey Skates
- #9 American Athletic Shoe Cougar Ice Hockey Skates
- Factors you should consider before purchasing an ice hockey pair of skates
The Best Ice Hockey Skates on the Market 2020
I have picked the 9 best ice hockey skates and summarized below. Check it out!
#1 Bauer Vapor X2.0 Pro Ice Hockey Skates
Bauer Vapor is a well-known brand for ice hockey skates. They own up-to-date skate technology. They are one of the best performing skates on the market.
The main point of this product is the Lock-fit Pro liner which is to keep your foot locked into the boot at the same time give the players more power in their stride. The low-profile design was created to enhance the fit of the skates. The Aero Foam Pro padding makes the skates more comfortable.
The outstanding feature of the Bauer Vapor X2.0 is the DynaFlex System. This helps ultimate the performance by reducing the volume of these skates. The push-off and strides will improve quite a lot. The asymmetrical taper in this system can increase the medial support at the same time better the quickness and agility.
The Bauer Vapor features the Tuuk Lightspeed EDGE holder. The Tuuk system is used very widely in the system of the NHL due to the durability and quality. This trigger-release system allows you to change your blades as fast as possible.
- Up-to-date technology
- Lock-fit pro liner to keep your foot locked into the boot
- Low profile design to enhance the fit
- The Aero Foam Pro padding makes the skates more comfortable
- DynaFlex System helps ultimate the performance by reducing the volume of these skates
- Tuuk Lightspeed EDGE holder to change the blades fast
- Not the best for wide feet wearers
#2 Bauer Vapor X2.9 Ice Hockey Skates
The Bauber Vapor X2.9 is one of the best choices for beginners. This product takes many features from the Vapor range and improves them up to a higher level, at a wonderful price.
These skates are made of the 3D Lasted Tech Mesh Quarter which makes it very light and responsive. This skate consists of a 2-piece felt tongue (48oz each) which is filled with metatarsal guard. As such, you will find it very comfortable, flexible and protective.
An exclusive feature coming from the Vapor X2.9 is the Form-Fit+ footbed. This helps secure your foot by using memory foam. Like the Vapor X2.0, these skates own the Tuuk edge system to change out blades fast and easily.
The hydrophobic microfiber liner is designed to wick away the moisture and protect you from abrasions. Overall, this is an excellent option for those who are looking for a high performing skate to improve their game.
- 3D lasted tech mesh quarter to make the skates light and responsive
- Comfortable, flexible and protective
- Form-Fit_ footbed to secure your foot
- Tuuk edge system to change blades fast and easily
- The hydrophobic microfiber liner to wick away the moisture and protect you from abrasions
- Low- profile design may run small
#3 Bauer Nexus 2N Ice Hockey Skates
The Bauer Nexus 2N Ice Hockey skates are perfect for wide feet wearers. In terms of level, they provide great support to intermediate and advanced players. This skate offers a very reasonable price too.
These skates have upgraded technology. They are very comfortable both inside and outside. The Nexus 2N is very lightweight and durable. The skates are made from 3-D lasted CURV composite which is efficient and stiff.
Inside these skates is Hydra Max 2 liner which keeps your feet dry even during a long game. The heat moldable memory foam padding is designed underneath that liner to increase the fit and comfort.
The Form-Fit 2-piece tongue warps the ankle closely. A heavy duty lace keeps your feet protected.
- Suitable for wide feet players
- Works well for intermediate to advanced levels
- Comfortable both inside and outside
- Lightweight and durable
- 3D lasted CURV composite to keep the skates efficient and stiff
- Hydra Max 2 liner wicks the moisture away
- Heat moldable memory foam padding to increase the fit and comfort
- Form-fit 2- piece tongue wraps the ankle closely
- Not the best option for low volume feet
#4 CCM JetSpeed FT470 Ice Hockey Skates
The CCM JetSpeed FT470 Ice Hockey Skates is one of the leading brands in the hockey equipment world. They have long time of expertise in this area.
This product is popular for being super comfortable and well fitted to wearers. Also, they are very durable. These skates feature wider forefoot which leave no wasted space in the heel and ankle. As a result, they have a high level of comfort. Thanks to this, players can transfer the energy well.
An ankle padding made of lightweight memory foam is designed for the natural foot shape. Besides, the 3D lasted tech mesh quarter package is applied to these skates. This provides the wearer with a 360 degree fit.
The CCM jetSpeed FT470 has the SpeedBlade XS holder that is available on the top of the CCM line. This allows players to lean further on their edges. They can go as crazy as they want in the game without worrying about injuries.
In terms of price, this product is a great option to go. You don’t need to spend much, yet own a high-quality pair of skates.
- Super comfortable and well fitted
- Lightweight memory foam ankle padding to provide natural foot shape
- 3D lasted tech mash quarter to give a 360 degree fit
- SpeedBlade XS holder to allow players to lean on their edges
- Reasonable price
- Not the best for professional players
#5 CCM Super Tacks AS1 Ice Hockey Skates
The CCM Super Tacks AS1 Ice Hockey Skates are high-end with a lot of technologies and great features. They are high performing skates for all levels.
The feature that helps these skates stand out from the market is the MonoFrame. It is a full carbon composite 360 one-piece frame with Speedcore III technology. Thanks to this, the skates are very lightweight. Players can generate the highest speed due to the anatomical energy.
The Super Tacks AS1 also owns SpeedBlade black runners to resist the corrosion and the skates can last longer. You should watch out that the black coating might come off. However, the SpeedBlade 4.0 holder is there to stabilize the skates.
The inside is designed with a TotalDri Pro level liner in order to absorb and wick the moisture. Your feet will be dry. The heel will be locked in by memory foam ankle pads.
All in all, these skates are very durable and supportive. They provide both high performance and great comfort. The CCM offers a return policy within 90 days (no questions asked). This means they are very confident on their product.
- High performing skates for all levels
- Monoframe – 360 one-piece full carbon composite to make the skates lightweight and efficient
- SpeedBlade black to resist the corrosion
- TotalDri Pro to wick the moisture
- 90 days return policy
- The black coating of the corrosion resistance might come off
#6 CCM Youth Tacks 9060 Ice Hockey Skates
The CCM Youth Tacks 9060 is one of the best options on the market for children and youth.
The Meta frame technology is a basic way that the CCM use to mold their skates. This results in the anatomical correct shape and the best fit to the wearers. These skates feature the SpeedCore 1 stiffness. The outsoles are constructed with an exhaust system. Together with the rigid design, these skates can transfer the energy fast.
The SB 4.0 holder gives more attack angle for greater strides. They are also very durable. The SB stainless can provide you with a long-lasting edge to perform in a long period of time.
These skates are very comfortable. The HD Micro Fiber with Durazone abrasion protection brings the high resistance, at the same time provides you with comfort. The company also offers you a 90 day satisfaction guarantee.
- Best for youth and children
- Meta frame to bring the best fit to wearers
- The exhaust system with rigid design make the skates transfer the energy fast
- SB 4.0 holder to give more attack angle
- SB stainless to provide more long-lasting edge to perform in longer time
- 90 day satisfaction guarantee
- Affordable price
- Not for advanced level
#7 Botas Attack 181 Ice Hockey Skates
The Botas Attack 181 is a made-in Europe skate which is the best for beginners. This can be a great choice for those who want to play for fun.
The upper part looks very fashionable through the dynamic painting. The lining is made of synthetic material with foam padding which ensures the comfort and durability of the skates.
In terms of padding, the foam is made of latex and PE. To make sure the fit of the skates, they design flexible tongues which are anatomically shaped and strengthen the lacing section. You can tighten the lace to adjust the fit of the skates without hurting your foot and leg.
The sole is made of resistant plastic and it possesses a CLIMA AIR ventilation to prevent your skates from being overheated. The blade is also made of plastic with a stainless steel blade to keep it durable.
It is super easy to clean these skates. You can wipe or wash slightly with water, remove the insole then dry naturally at room temperature.
- Best for beginners
- Fashionable look
- Comfortable and durable synthetic lining
- Latex and PE foam
- Flexible tongue to strengthen the fit
- Resistant plastic sole with a CLIMA AIR ventilation
- Easy to clean
- Not for professionals
#8 Bauer Vapor X800 Ice Hockey Skates
As I mentioned earlier, the Bauer is a very reliable brand and the Vapor X800 is great pair of skates.
Like other Bauer skates, the X800 comes with a TuukLightSpeed Edge blade holder. This means that your skates will have a quick blade replacement when you need. The Flex-lock tongue is injected in the middle which gives you protection and comfort at the same time.
These skates are very lightweight. The 3D lasted Curv Composite with X-rib design offers you more support and stiffness. The inside of the skates is built with dual density foam ankle pads.
The liner keeps your foot in place, limiting them to slipping around. The dry technology is also utilized to wick the moisture to keep your feet dry and you can feel comfortable the whole time.
The Bauer Vapor X800 is highly recommended for professional and serious players. But remember the price is not low at all.
- Suitable for professionals
- TuukLightSpeed Edge blade holder
- The flex-lock to give you more protection and comfort
- X-rib design to offer more support and stiffness
- Dry technology to wick the moisture
- The liner keeps your foot in place
- Higher price
#9 American Athletic Shoe Cougar Ice Hockey Skates
If you have a tight budget, the American Athletic Shoe Cougar Ice Hockey Skate is the best option to consider. They have a very simple design.
The American Cougar Ice Hockey Skates are unique for the thick foam padding. This is to keep your foot warm and comfortable. The strap in the upper part gives extra support to your ankles. You can use these skates to practice and do different tricks.
The blades are quite sharp so you won’t need to pay to get a sharpening. Of course, they will be duller by time but after a while.
You should notice that these skates are not for competitive players. But they are good enough to have fun and practice.
- Best budget skates
- Simple design
- Thick foam padding to keep you warm and comfortable
- Strap to give extra support to ankles
- Sharp blades
- Not for competitive players
Factors you should consider before purchasing an ice hockey pair of skates
1. Your foot type
The first thing that you should do is to check your foot type. Long or short, narrow or wide? Let’s see how the skates are sizing according to the label:
- C / N = Narrow Fit
- D/ R = Regular Fit
- E / W = Wide Fit
- EE = Extra Wide Fit
The most basic method is that you can use your tennis shoes fit to apply to skates. Or if you want to have an exact number, there are a few things you should notice when you measure:
- How wide the front quarter of your feet are
- How thick or deep your feet are
- Your ankles or heels’ width
2. Your playing style
In some other sports you don’t need to think about this. But in ice hockey, you should know clearly what style of player you are. I want to divide into 2 main types: aggressive and reserved.
- Move a lot, proactive
- Play more winger or center
- Always chase for the puck
- Watch the play develop more
- Play more like a defender
- Not staying in an athletic stance often
3. Your level
If you are a beginner, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on expensive and high performing skates. What you need is stable and durable skates to prevent you from injuries.
If you are an experienced and competitive player, then go for the high-end products. The skates should be stiff. When you squeeze the boot, the skate should stay like it is.
As a professional, you might require lightweight and stable skates too. High performing items can lock your feet or heels and keep them in place better.
1. Are expensive hockey skates worth it?
You get what you pay for. Normally, they are very durable and might last for years (in case of regular use). It is a good investment if you are a serious player. You can’t expect the same performance from lower-end skates.
2.How often do hockey players sharpen their skates?
For an active hockey player, you should have your skates sharpened after 15 to 20 hours on the ice. If you use them harder, then you should sharpen them more often. All depend on you!
3. What skates do the professionals wear?
According to the statistics, 72.3% of the pros use Bauer. It is the most common brand found in the NHL. CCM is the second that comes at 18.7%.
4. Can you sharpen ice skaters at home?
You should not do this at home. However, if you want, there are some tips to make it efficient and safe. First of all, you have to place your skates in the sharpening jig. Both skates should be placed in the same position.
Thank you very much for staying till the end of the article. I hope you have found some useful information to get the best ice hockey skates which are high performing and price-wise. Good luck!